Tuesday, May 25, 2010

An Eagle Scout And A Fish

So before I even begin let me just say I hate fish. They are ugly and scary and don't even taste good...
So on that note, my little brother Andrew is an avid fisherman. I love the guy but he is just weird; who likes fish??? Anyways he is 14 and this last Saturday he had his Eagle Scout project. He decided to do something along the lines of yep, you guessed it FISH. The project itself was really good. He decided to teach a group of underprivileged kids how to fish. The idea was to teach them how to fish and hope to instill a lifetime skill and hobby in them. You know the phrase, "Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime." Andrew worked really hard and got lots of donations for all the equipment which he gave the kids in the end as surprise.
The weather was super crummy though, 37 degrees and rain is not a good mix. These kids were Just adorable and they didn't even complain about the unfortunate weather. They were between the ages of 6-12 and most of them English was their second language. I was excited because Adam and I were going to use our Spanish to help interpret and I was anxious to talk to them, which turned out to be a funny story. I was getting my group all geared up and as we were working I surprised them and started talking in Spanish. My favorite was Marcelino and he was just completely shocked that I knew Spanish! The look on his face was priceless, but his older and of course much wiser sister was the one to pipe up and say with a puzzled look on her face, "We speak English too." Haha! I didn't know what to say! So I just cut the Espanol all together.The best part for some, but the sickest part of the day for me was catching my first fish! SUPER SICK NASTY! Maybe I should explain some more, I am not only grossed out by fish, but terrified of them! My brothers think it is just hilarious to remind me when we are at the lake just how many fish there are swimming with me. And they just roll with laughter if I see one because I am out of that water faster than a fly on stink. I am lightning fast! I am just scared they are going to bite me... I know, I know, "They are more afraid of you, than you are of them." WRONG! LIES! They are out to get me and I don't care ewhat Anyhoo, so I was swindled into catching my first fish and the result was pretty funny. The outcome was a lot of screaming and flailing around on my part. It was quite the site. The video below has just a little tid-bit of what I am talking about... see for yourself.

Oh and if you are interested- Andrew was in the paper, here is the link if you would like to read the article... idahopress.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment